First of all choosing the right dress for a party is a daunting task, especially considering the number of Party dress styles and choices available on the market. Traditionally, dresses were only available in department stores and clothing stores, they are now available online from designers around the world.The first factor to take into consideration is the formality of the occasion.
Next, skin tone and body shape determine the best colors and styles for a Party Dress. Finally, the versatility and cost as well as the ways to accessorize the dress need careful consideration. By considering these five points and learning to shop for party dresses online, one can find the perfect dress for a party in record time and at a great price.
5 Things to Consider when Choosing a Party Dress
1. Dress Code for the Occasion
- The formality of the occasion is the first thing to consider when choosing a dress for any party.
- While men’s dress codes are fairly rigid, women generally have a little more flexibility when choosing a dress.
- However, there are some basic rules that determine the formality of a Party dress.
- Length, color, and fabric are factors that determine how formal a dress is. In general, the most formal events require floor-length evening gowns.
- Knee-length dresses are fine for the most casual parties. Cocktail parties fall somewhere in the middle and semi-formal.
- A color is also a factor informality. Dark and solid colors are usually evening wear, while prints are often more casual.
- Neutral colors like brown and gray are versatile and are suitable for many different kinds of events.
- Of course, the most versatile dress of all is the little black dress, which is formal enough for most events and still chic.
- Pay attention to the dress fabric. Fabrics like cotton (especially denim) are very casual and not appropriate for cocktail parties or any other semi-formal events.
- Formal Party Dresses are often silk, satin, or glossy synthetic fabrics.
- The quality of the fabric is in the fall and texture of the cloth, so it may be worthwhile to spend a little more if the party is formal.
2. Dress Color and Skin Tone
- Determining the undertones of your skin is useful in determining the colors that look best.
- Warm-toned complexions look great in earth tones including yellows, reds, and browns while cool-toned complexions often stand out in blues, greens, and purples.
- However, there are exceptions to the rule and some people may fall into the third category of neutral undertones.
- These people can look good in either warm or cool colors.
- To find out if you have warm, cool, or neutral undertones, one easy test is to look at the veins in the arm.
- If they look bluish, the skin probably has cool undertones. If the veins look greenish, the skin tone is most likely warm. Another test is to check whether you look better in black and white or in brown and off-white.
- The former indicates cool undertones, while the latter means one probably has warm undertones.
- Of course, there are literally hundreds of shades to choose from when choosing a Party Dress, and there may well be certain blues and purples that suit a warm-toned complexion.
- Likewise, a woman with a cool-toned complexion does not need to rule out the possibility of a red or yellow Party Dress.
- However, keeping in mind that not all colors look equally good is an important part of shopping for the perfect Party Dress.
3. Dress Style and Body Shape
- One’s body shape is the next factor to consider when choosing a Party Dress in order to accentuate one’s best features.
- Five basic body shapes determine the style of dress that best complements one’s figure. These are the pear, inverted triangle, rectangle, apple, and hourglass.
Dresses for Pear-Shaped Figures
- Pear-shaped figures have wide hips and narrow shoulders. The goal for pear figures is to minimize the hips and add volume to the upper body.
- Draw attention to the neck and arms with boat neck dresses, square necklines, and cowl necklines.
- A-line dresses minimize wide hips and strapless dresses are flattering for this body type.
The Inverted Triangle or Wedge Figure
- Wedge figures have broad shoulders and chest with a narrower waist and hips.
- A flattering dress draws attention to the hips and accentuates it.
- High-waisted styles like empire waist Party dress makes the waist and hips seem bigger, as well as full skirts and bright colors at the bottom.
- Consider staying away from spaghetti straps as they draw attention to the shoulders.
The Rectangle Figure
- Rectangle body types have similarly sized shoulders, waists, and hips.
- The goal for women with this figure is to create curves. Do this with scoop necks and sweetheart-necked dresses, ruching on the sides, and ruffles.
Best Dress Styles for Apple Figures
- Apple figures have wide shoulders, chests, and waists, and narrow hips. To balance this figure, it is necessary to make the torso look longer and the hips wider.
- Do this with solid colors rather than prints, belts high at the waist, and v-necks, which have the effect of elongating the torso.
- Empire waist dresses help add to the hips while short Party dress and skirts draw attention downward and away from the shoulders.
Dresses for Hourglass Figures
- Those with hourglass figures have balanced proportions, but still need to look for a Party Dress, which helps all their best features stand out.
- The main point is to look for Party dress that is neither too baggy nor too tight. Wrap dresses, high waist styles, and A-line dresses are all flattering.
4. Versatility and Cost
- Versatility and cost are two factors that one should balance when looking for a Party Dress.
- A very versatile dress, for example, a short black dress, is worth paying more for because of its use for many different occasions.
- On the other hand, a bright red dress is hard to repeat without people noticing. When on a tight budget, look for a high-quality Party dress in a neutral color that accessorizes in different ways.
- For example, a short gray Party dress looks like an entirely different when worn with a wide belt at the waist than it does with a short black jacket over it.
- A colorful brooch or pin adds a splash of color to make it more interesting.
- Many people shop for accessories at the same time they buy a Party Dress and this is ideal is money is not an issue.
- Shoes, necklaces, earrings, bracelets, and a purse are all part of a complete outfit. Not all of them are necessary with every Party dress.
- If the Party dress is very simple, then use accessories like a pair of large earrings to draw the eyes of the observer to a single location.
- Alternatively, use minimal jewelry if the Party dress is already very ornate.
- If keeping to a budget, it may be better to choose a dress that goes with the accessories one already has.
- This way, one can spend more on a high-quality Party dress, rather than buying an inexpensive dress in order to afford new accessories.
Thank you for reading this article. Hope you found this “5 Things to Consider when Choosing a Party Dress” article useful. In a case of any suggestion or feedback, please feel free to share the same in the comments section below.