The True Secret to Staying Young

Staying young forever is not possible but looking youthful while aging gracefully is. While you cannot turn back time, you can take measures in the present that will help you stay vital and look vibrant as the years go by. After all, your years don’t have to show on your face, but through the wisdom, you share and the experience you have. The secret to staying youthful is simply doing everything in your might to keep yourself in optimal health. And proper skincare is a great part of this anti-aging strategy. With that being said, here are a few secrets to staying youthful.

Sunscreen is non-negotiable

As far as the visible signs of aging go, most of us are concerned with keeping wrinkles, age spots, and sagging skin at bay. The best way to prevent these unnecessary skin changes is by using broad-spectrum SPF on a daily basis. A study that was published in Clinical, Cosmetic and Investigative Dermatology concluded that UV exposure seems to be responsible for 80% of visible facial aging. The remaining 20% are due to genetics and lifestyle habits, some of which we may not have that much control of. Those with dry and fair skin are more sensitive to UV rays than those with darker and oily skin, but in general – all skin types need some sun protection to prevent skin aging and skin cancer as well.

Eating healthy for longevity

It’s now widely recognized that the food we eat plays a huge role in the state of our health. The rise in chronic diseases such as obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and even cancer is now believed to be a result of modern-day diets that are high in saturated fats, refined sugar, and empty calories. On the other hand, studies on vegetable-based diets and those that includes plenty of omega-3 fatty acids from fish and olive oil show that these diets improve overall health and increase longevity. If your goal is to stay youthful and vital for a long time, then watching what you eat may be your best bet. Besides, studies also happen to show those foods high in antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and other beneficial nutrients slow down skin aging.

Exfoliate for a youthful glow

Exfoliation is a fancy term for the removal of dead skin cells with the help of gentle peeling agents like salicylic acid, glycolic acid, lactic acid, and others. Exfoliation can treat a dull complexion by removing hyper pigmentation, scaling skin, and improving the skin’s moisture levels. Exfoliation with salicylic acid can remove excess sebum and kill acne-causing bacteria. But to put it simply, exfoliation is now recognized as a necessary part of any skin care routine and studies on exfoliation using gentle exfoliates such as glycolic acid show that it improved the general appearance of the skin.

Exercising for a strong immune system

Our body’s ability to fight disease can have a strong impact on how well we age. According to a study published in Aging Research Reviews, regular exercising was found to improve vaccine response and better immunity in the elderly. Exercising regularly will also keep your muscles toned, your bones strong, and your weight in check – all things important when aiming to look and feel youthful. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) states in their physical activity guidelines that adults gain health benefits from as little as 60 minutes of exercising per week. But for best results, 150 minutes of moderate aerobic activity or 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity aerobic activity per week is recommended.

Get your beauty sleep

Getting your 8 hours of beauty sleep each day will keep all cells in your body young and functioning. When we sleep, almost all bodily functions go through an intense regeneration process. Depriving your body of much-needed rest is not just going to make those bags under the eyes worse, it will make all metabolic processes malfunction. From impaired glucose metabolism to greater neuron death, there are so many bad things that happen when you don’t sleep as much as you should. And this will show on your skin as well. A study published in Clinical and Experimental Dermatology found that sleep loss was associated with diminished skin barrier functioning and general dissatisfaction with one’s appearance.

Conclusion

The secret to looking and feeling youthful is simply taking good care of your overall health and your skin health as well. Watching what you eat, exercising regularly, getting enough sleep, and using quality skin care products such as those from NovaCare and other manufacturers is a simple way to keep yourself looking young no matter what your age. The tips provided here are all you need to feel and look young for a long time. Make sure to follow each tip, and we’re sure you’ll see that aging is a process to be celebrated.

Cover photo: Pinterest

Add Comment